Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Kitchen Gadget Love

If you know me at all, you know I love my Big Red Mixer. One day while reading Chickens In The Road/Farm Bell Recipes, there was this blog post - The Strainer of he Gods. Loving my attachments as much as I love my mixer, I knew one day soon I would need to own the Kitchen Aid strainer/juicer. It attaches to the grinder which I already own and use.

Taylor, my sidekick and I went to the produce market yesterday and bought a flat of raspberries. The strainer/juicer arrived yesterday also. Co-innky-dinky? I don't think so.

We made juice, 2 1/2 quarts of pure red goodness-there are a few seeds but I think that may have been from be being a rookie. Soon we will make raspberry jelly/jam (whatever!) and some raspberry syrup for this cheesecake or ice cream or pancakes...


The raspberry pulp was spread out on a fruit leather sheet for the food dryer. I had apples to dry so this morning I loaded up 5 trays of apple slices, 1 tray of apple peelings and 1 tray of mango slices. If I'm going to plug it in, I like it to be full.

The raspberry pulp and the apple peelings will be made into powder for tea flavorings. Here is a great video on making your own teas. Dehydrate2Store is an excellent website loaded with information on food drying.

1 comment:

fancystitching said...

So... after reading this i am asking myself... "WHY has my food dehydrator (which was purchased solely for making jerky) been sitting idle on the shelf for YEARS???" Now what can I do with pears and figs... that's what I am getting right now.

Kat