Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Design Wall Monday

These are my blocks of the month (minus one) from the small Yahoo group-BOM Quilt Addicts. It is a fairly new small quiet group that started last August. We do 2 blocks a month, this year's theme is stars. One is traditional pieced, one is paper pieced. With just one month to go, I wanted to prove to myself I could finish this quilt. Next year's project is still being planned but I can't wait to find out what it is.

My friend Sonya is one of the founding members. We sew together on Wednesdays at our Binding Friends group. She has been working on her blocks, so after last week, I knew I need to work on mine. Nothing like a little peer pressure. When I got my project bag out, I discovered I was 7 blocks behind. Embarrassed, I put all the blocks up on the wall and got busy. The top 2 rows, left 3 blocks in each row are the ones I did this week. I also fixed the block with the blue corners so now it has black corners.

After doing the top row blocks on Wednesday and Thursday, I spent Friday sewing room time cutting the others blocks into kits. Taylor was here and helped choose colors for the blocks. The little pink star inside the blue star are totally her color choices.

Saturday evening and Sunday I hid in my room and sewed. I hope today I can say I am all caught up with this BOM. Last night, I played with EQ7 and did a layout of 24 12" blocks. I thought I wanted to do 30 blocks and now I'm sure I do. So here's plan.

  • Finish block 22
  • Make blocks 23 and 24 when they are posted
  • Make 6 more star blocks
  • Make sashing
This quilt is going to be (sing it in your best high pitched singing voice) FAB U LOUS!

Grab yourself a snack and something to drink, head over to Judy L's and see what others in Blogland have on their design walls.

15 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, yay, the stars are back! Every time you post these, it is my FAVORITE blog post of the whole week!

Charlene S said...

I am all for that quilt to be done. It will be amazing. Great work!

Melinda said...

This is going to be a beautiful quilt. I love brights on black! Can't wait to see it finished.

Vicki H. said...

I.Love.Stars. Yours are great and I agree FABULOUS, I can hear the angels singing about it!! Nice job. I need to get some sewing friends together, that sounds like tons of fun. I sewed all weekend myself, and it felt good. No guilt.

scraphappy said...

Your stars are stunning!!! The color choices just pop against that black background. This one is definitely going to be FABULOUS when it is done. If that isn't motivation to keep going, I don't know what is. Congratulations.

Diane said...

oh man that is going to be one 'sweeeeet' quilt! way to go getting caught up--my prefered way of doing things :)
Oh and I have EQ7 upgrade sitting here still waiting to be installed...I should be smacked, but I know what will happen.I will install it and be sucked into 2-3 days of computer screen staring and "oh my gosh! Look what I can do" and Paul and Meg will be rolling their eyes.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh, these are gor-ge-ous! Just gor-ge-ous. (doesn't really work with my voice!)

Oh, and thanks for your comment on my Quilts and Dogs. I am very happy to be sitting at #12 today, and debating a run at #1......
glen

Cathy said...

WOW, wow, wow. Totally bee-u-ti-ful. I love BOM's. Is the group open to more people?

Teaquilts said...

Another WOW! Judy that is going to be a fabulous quilt. The blocks are already fabulous! I love that the blocks are mixed (traditional and paper pieced) and that they are not your more 'common' quilt blocks. I can see all the hard work that went into making them. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

Ivani said...

And another WOW here!
Awesome blocks. Cab't hardly wait to see the finished project.
Hugs from Brazil

Gari in AL said...

I love your stars. You are doing a great job. I joined that group but never figured out where the blocks came from. ;-(

Barb in Mi said...

Love your star blocks! And great catching up! I hear you on peer pressure... Happy sewing!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh Judy...it IS fabulous!! Love the colours and the blocks are so cool. I like them all but am really intrigued by that one that is pink and white...bottom row on the right.

Anonymous said...

Your design wall looks AMAZING!

Beth said...

oh MY these are pretty! Both of my fav things...Stars..and BRIGHTS! Yummy..just yummy...