Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Sunday, August 04, 2013

I've Caved To The Little Hexi Craze


I wasn't going to do it. Really I wasn't. I'm not even going to blame anyone. I've always love them. I've made a couple hexi projects-well I've finished one and am working on the applique on the other.  My friend Jody brought her hexi project to Binding Friends group one day and when I got home, I pulled out my 30's fabric bin. That's all it takes for me.

Then I remembered Bonnie Hunter did a tutorial on her hexi project. You can read that here. So I started searching for the Creative Memories punch only to see I could only find it on eBay and the prices were just to much for me to justify buying it.  Then someone--maybe Bonnie--posted about the Fiskar's hexi squeeze punch.  Armed with a 40% off coupon, I headed to JoAnn's--lucky me, they had it on sale for 50% off and only one on the rack.  If you want to find your own squeeze punch, they are in the scrapbooking section of the store.


So I came home and started pulling inserts out of magazines and punching hexies. Then I started stitching. One day, not too long ago, someone posted a link to Sue Daley's video.  After becoming totally absorbed in all the videos, I am now a convert to glue basting. I am punching a smaller hole in my papers to make it easier to pop those papers out with a bamboo skewer . But you really don't need to. I just like using my little heart punch. And that glue pen and glue sticks, sale/coupon items from JA's.

I've played in EQ7 and looked at Google images to see how I wanted to set mine.  There are so many designs, it made my head spin. I am going with a nice, simple green path for my 30's flowers. But first, I need to sit quiet and stitch.

After a long absence, I'm linking up today with Kathy's Quilts Slow Stitching Sunday. It's nice to be back.

8 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

So awesome Judy! Thanks for sharing the links..I need to learn how to do this since I signed up for the hexie blog hop! LOL Thanks for linking up today...enjoy your slow stitching!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

The insanity of hexies.....grin. I started mine as paper and switch to the glue method as well. Have you had any problems joining the two methods? I haven't tried yet.

Great post!

libbyquilter said...

oh yes, i too have succombed and have a hexie quilt in the yet to be finished stage . . . i haven't worked on it in a while but you have inspired me to find it and add some more stitches . . . maybe next sunday . . .

:-)
libbyQ

fancystitching said...

I do so love yours. Thirties fabrics just beg to be hexies.

I also have have a hexie UFO... I was so in love with it at the start, using 3/4" hexies. Then the romance faded when I realized how many I would need to make. Improvise.... it would be a wall quilt. A little more work, and change again... now it will be the BORDER for a wall quilt. It is still sitting there unfinished. Perhaps it is time to take it out of the closet.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh maybe I could some hexie flowers if I had a punch to cut them out. Thanks for sharing the tip! I love Bonnie Hunter's site, she is such a great person who promotes quilting so that anyone can learn and enjoy the craft.

Annie said...

I love your hexies! And I love everyone else's hexies too. But I have no desire. I could see me struggling to make enough for a coaster! All hexie makers must have the patience of a saint, I swear! Watching to see what your sweet hexies turn into.

Diane said...

wow! I have a hexie project somewhere..... I'm sure you're will be done before I even find mine (not that I'm going to look right now) haha. enjoy your quiet sitting and stitching time!!

Luann said...

Hexie madness has taken over here too! Great grab and go project!