Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Tuesday Knitting Report

I missed blogging on Tuesday again. It's spring break so Taylor stayed for a couple days. Yesterday we had a power shopping day~coupon/sale shopping with lunch and Goodwill shopping thrown into the mix just for the fun of it and it was fun!

According to the news, we have another week or more rain and storms headed toward the Pacific Northwest. Perfect knitting weather if you are in the mood for a knitting and girlie movie marathon and I am in the mood. Sorry quilting! I'll give you some time but probably not all that much.

The green and orange socks are finished and fabulous! I love how they turned out. While watching this episode of Knitting Daily on our local PBS channel, Eunny Jang talked about how do minimize pooling of colors by alternating balls of yarn every couple rows. I won't be doing that, I rather enjoy the surprise of how the socks will turn out. I love watching that show! So much information in less than 30 minutes!

I went into my yarn stash to pick the next yarn for socks and picked Knit Picks Felici, Abracadabra. (It looks like Abracadabra may be discontinued but Moonlit appears to be a close match.) With our mostly gloomy/wet spring weather, I need to stick with something bright and happy. I think these will be bright and happy.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

The green/orange socks are fabulous. I've heard that tip about knitting from two balls to eliminate pooling, but like you, I don't mind just allowing the yarn to do what it wants.

Gloomy weather here, too, so I'm also knitting socks.

fancystitching said...

The pooling bothers me, but I have just told myself that I will have to "get over it!" This is supposed to be fun and I am NOT going to stress over pooling any more. (I have to keep repeating this over and over.) You will LOVE these Felici socks! I just made a pair from that same yarn and they are just too cute! Now if you want "bright", I just ordered and received the Felici "Rainbow"... these are going to be really FUN and BRIGHT!

Kat

Paula, the quilter said...

The pooling will change with the number of stitches cast on and the size of the needles used. The Felici will be stripes. I used a green Felici and it turned out in a lot wider stripes than any other yarn I've used. Love the feel of the Felici, though.

Me and My Stitches said...

Love the socks. I just learned to knit and am working on my very first project...a scarf. I am looking forward to my second project which will hopefully be a felted bag. I might graduate to socks some day!!