Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Design Wall Monday




As I continue to work on my Crabapple top, I need to have a new leader/ender project. I want to make a couple more Quilts for Kids to send with my next quilt from their kit, so I decided to make a couple tumbler quilts. I had a bin full of homespun fat quarters and had cut them all into 6" tumblers using my GO! Cutter. This will make a great quilt for an older boy. After sewing several pair of these, I decided I better have some kind of plan. I put them up on the wall and now will sew them into rows.

Once you get into the habit of using the leader/enders, you have to have them beside you! As weird as it sounds, it's just strange not picking up those pieces and having to clip the long threads. Isn't that right Diane? I have a drawer stuffed full of 2 1/2" squares that will get reduced down for the next leader/ender quilt.

I am ready to sew the last pieced border on the Crabapple top and the final borders will be on it today. I do love this quilt and cannot wait to get it finished!

Then there is that pile of scraps from the Stash Builder's Sale. I got out my GO! Cutter and 3 bags of those scraps and I cut. And I cut. And I cut until all those pieces had a new home in their proper bin or drawer. I have 2 1/2" strips and squares. I have half square and quarter square triangle pieces and I have 5" charms. I have a few little string scraps and a few itty bitty pieces for the crumb bin. But mostly I have 3 empty bags that once held scraps.

Since we have a week of cold rain in the forecast, I think I will spend the week finishing up a few things before I turn into a toad!

16 comments:

swooze said...

Love all the quilty yumminess!

fancystitching said...

The crabapple quilt is so wonderful! You have been very busy this week, and accomplished a lot.

Kat

Gari in AL said...

I really like the tumbler quilt: it is so hard for me to make "boy" quilts. And, of course, I am even more in love with the crabapple quilt now that I can see the borders.

Chris said...

The tumbler quilt really is perfect for a boy. I agree with you about the leader and enders. They are addictive.

Quilty Conscience said...

The homespuns were a great choice for this quilt. Love it! Toni

AnnieO said...

Love the tumblers! I'm sure the GO! Cutter has made your scrap handling so much easier. I have got to get a Leader/Ender project set up. I'm using scraps to sew on and off of but really want to be making something!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I love your header quilts. Have I said that before? LOL.

And the tumblers are so perfectly cut, I couldn't do it on my own. I woul dneed a GO cutter!

glen

happydaysquilting said...

Your quilts are looking fabulous!

Cathy said...

Wow, your Mojo is back, and then some. Your crab apple is looking better and better, and the tumblers are great. Keep going, you're on a roll.

Diane said...

You are too funny...but I may turn into a toad with you if it keeps it up (today actually pretty nice, but I think it's just a one day hiccup and then more rain)Please, no, pleeaassee.
I so agree about the leader/enders, drives me nuts to have to use a little scrap of fabric cuz I don't have anything ready to go...such a creature of habit. :)

Quilter Kathy said...

Each project looks like fun! We have a rainy cold forecast here... perfect quilting weather!
I love to have a leader/ender on the go too...it's a
'free' project!

SpinningStar said...

My problem with doing leader/enders is that I stop my one project and start sewing on the L/E one! They are addictive!

liz

Sue Daurio said...

love the quilts!! The tumbler quilt is going to be great. The crab apple is really coming along. I agree completely about the leader and ender, once you get started, you just can't stop!

Me and My Stitches said...

I just bought a kit for a tumbler quilt - the pieces all cut for me. I'm looking forward to putting it together! I love the colors of yours!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

The tumbler is a great quilt! I love it.

Mary Johnson said...

Love the crabapple top, I've had one of those on my list for ages and just found the pattern again when I was going through my books.