Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Monday, February 18, 2019

Design Wall Monday

 

After finishing my log cabin quilt Saturday,
I went through my UFO list to find something to finish for our oldest grandson.
I didn't see anything I wanted for him,
everything is too feminine.
So I decided to pull out my 2 1/2" batik strips and a stack of books.


After looking at all of them,
marking and looking again, I chose to make Monkey Business.
It's in Kim Brackett's Scrap Basket Surprises.
Then I pulled UFO box #7 and 
decided to use the fabric I had set aside for something else for this quilt.
I have that big bin of batik strips but these are all ready to go. 
I think I may even have a great animal print to use for the backing.
Use the stash Judy!


While I was pulling, 
I got out the replacement UFO #12,
(I explained that it in Saturday's post.)
I have 35 12 1/2" blocks.
I'm not sure how I'll set them so I pulled out this Log Cabin book.
I might make another block for a 6x6 setting.
But I'll think about then when #12 is drawn.


In the mean time,
I pin basted February's UFO today.
This is #10 on my list. 
Since the tables were all set up,
I basted a small string quilt too.
And now I'm out of batting on my roll.
Any others basted in the near future will need to have batting pieced for them.
Use the batting scraps Judy! 

Check out all the great design walls at



4 comments:

Ramona said...

I need to use my batting scraps, too! Good reminder. :) I look forward to seeing your Monkey Business. Love that design.

Churn Dash said...

I made an executive decision about my batting scraps. I took them to guild and put them on the free table. They were one of the first things to go. I have even more that can go next month. It is a great feeling to get rid of something I really, really, really don't want to deal with.

I have the opposite problem with my projects, there are very few quilts suitable for a girl. It even feels weird to work with soft colours.

I've been thinking of getting one of Kim Brackett's books - when ever I see someone making a quilt from one of her books I love them. I look forward to seeing yours grow.

Helen

Julie said...

I missed your Saturday post so thanks to linking to it! How awesome to be doing "two fers" on finishing projects. I have one project I am sending off because it's big and have lots of others to do! I LOVE that quilt in the Scrap Basket book. It's one I have always wanted to do.

Rebecca Grace said...

Good for you, finishing old projects AND starting new ones! I too have been saving batting scraps but unfortunately I have all kinds of batting mixed up in the scrap box and not sure which are which at this point. I know it's a no-no to piece wool to 80/20 to cotton to whatever, so I'd need to be really careful selecting what could be pieced with what!