Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Sun is Shining...

...and that makes me happy!  I have been waiting for this day since late last fall.  I love to hang quilts, bedding, towels, clothes, everything! outside.  I love the fresh smell.  I sleep like a baby with fresh dried outside sheets.  When I heard we would finally have a nice warm weekend with no chance of rain, I planned this for early this morning.  Ernie took off early to cut another load of firewood.  I tended the washer and the clothesline.


I love it!  As you can see, I am greatly influenced by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.  Here is a list of her free patterns.  You can see Orange Crush on the left, behind that is Pioneer Braids, Scrappy Bargello and String X.  Ready to hang out now is Double Delight.  My clothesline will be full.  Isn't that great?


Supervising today is Miss Blue.  She is a year old Blue Andalusian and is gorgeous.  She is an excellent layer, giving us one nice big white egg almost daily.  She and Miss Whitey were attacked by a neighbor dog a couple months ago and stopped laying for 3 very long weeks.  They are now both fine and I was thrilled when I found a white egg and she hasn't stopped since.  (The neighbor or the dog have not made a return visit.....I don't know what they did with the dog and I don't care as long as I never see him or his owner again.) 


The new girls are finally in the pen with the big girls.  Today is their first day out as free range chickens.  Really they aren't true free range because they get locked up at night and I feed them chicken food along with veggie and fruit scraps and what they forage for themselves.  In return, all I ask is that they stay safe, grow big and strong and repay me with some eggs one day.

Ernie is home now with a pick up load of wood.  I think he would like some help unloading......  Today, life on the farm is good.

9 comments:

Mary said...

I haven't had a clothes line for years. Might have to string one up. It's already 70 degrees outside and my quilts need airing after the long winter. Yes, you are influenced in a good way by BH. Have a great sunny day!

Quilter Kathy said...

How beautiful! I would love to come over and just see those quilts hanging on the line. So relaxing and inspiring to see that photo...love it! I would get some binding to do and just sit there and watch the quilts dry!

Michelle said...

I have always loved the smell of freshly dried on the clothesline bedding. I bet by now you are snoozing. It's almost midnight!

Susan said...

Ahhhh.... The luxury of sleeping on sheets that have hung on the line... Nothing is better....

Great picture..... A reminder of just what one can do with small pieces.........

Glad to hear that you had a good day.

Amy said...

I miss a clothesline; even with puppy-dog eyes, my husband just doesn't "get around to it." {{I am predicting a wife-move very soon!}}

So happy to hear the chickens are okay! I understand all too well about the frustration of losing chickens to neighborhood animals (and wild country ones too). Farm-fresh eggs simply can't be beat :D

Nancy said...

I, too, miss having a clothesline. The smell of sheets dried in the sunshine is like none other. Enjoy your sunshine and sun-dried sheets. ;oD

Teaquilts said...

I see you are busy as ever, even getting bees. I'm like you are right now, I wouldn't get too close either. I have a feeling you'll get over it in time. Love the quilts hanging on the line.

fancystitching said...

I love your quilts hanging photo! I'm like you... Bonnie's patterns speak to me. I haven't had time to make very many of them, but I love to look at her books and blog.

Enjoy your sunshine!
KAT

Pokey said...

Oh, you have stirred memories for us on clothes and quilts fresh washed on the line! I think that's why the "fresh linen" smell in candles and air fresheners is so popular. It sounds like a great day ~
:-}pokey