Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Design Wall-Week 17


What's on my design wall today? Nothing! Well there are those threads that refuse to come off but they don't count any more.

Judy L at Patchwork Times is starting a Quilt For An Hour today. My wall is empty patiently waiting for my hour 1 progress. I don't think I've ever been this ready for an "I'm not going to start anything new!" project. It's been a bit of a dry sewing spell and I'm ready to jump in with both feet.

The photo is of Adorable Granddaughter Amanda. She was bored this weekend and all of the offers she got to stop her boredom were for chores. Gramma rescued her from chore doom.

The last time she was here, we watched the new Mrs. King's Gallery Basket DVD. So she wanted to try her hand at making a basket. Here she is hard at work. After she got started, I think the only time she talked to me was when she needed help threading the needle or filling the bobbin. She sewed and sewed and sewed. We had to take a break when Grampa took us out to dinner. Then it was back to the machine. She finished her bowl Sunday morning and made a second smaller bowl. I totally forgot to take a picture of her with her bowls! (Hopefully someone with take pity on her mother and take a picture and send it to her. That's a hint for you Jen!) It thrills me beyond anything that my granddaughters love to be creative.

Now I must close. I need to do a couple of quick chores so I can Quilt For An Hour. Skip over to Judy L's and see what everyone else has on their wall.

5 comments:

Mrs Quilty said...

What a nice gramma you are to help your granddaughter be creative and so rewarding that she likes it! Would love to see a pic with her and her bowls!!!

Crys said...

Making hat baskets is a good way to get that Kenmore going. And seeing her hunched over with no light on makes my neck and eyes ache. :)

Can't wait to see the baskets.
~C

Quilter Kathy said...

That is an adorable photo!
What wonderful memories you are creating!
What fabric are you using for your "I'm not going to start anything new" quilt!

julia said...

What a lucky grand daughter you have! My grandmother taught me to sew and that is one of my best memories ever! What a gramma she has!!!

Renée T. Habashy said...

I love looking at the quilting that people do. My mom is an amazing quilter. I'm a seamstress, but I don't have the patience required to quilt, so I stick to garments. Anyway, just wanted to leave a comment to say I happened upon your blog.