Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Wednesday, March 02, 2016

I May Have A Scrap Problem...


Confessions Of A Scrap Addict wrote a very intriguing blog post this morning.
She was talking directly to me!
How did she know that I have a serious, overwhelming problem.
I am out of control. 
I cannot toss a scrap.
I want to blame someone but I am the one to blame.
No one else.
insert sad face here
(I'm hoping I can figure out how to put her badge over on my side bar.
This stuff is a challenge for me.)


This is the top of my string big.


This is the side view of my string bin.
One of them.
another sad face inserted here


This is my table top string bin.
My goal is to empty it.
Use each string until it is gone.
Then grab the next and the next.


After reading Sarah's post, I decided I needed a plan.
In September for National Sewing Month,
I sewed every day.
September 25, 2015 was the last day I made a string block.
Until today.

I made 5 early this morning.
I will make 5 later on today.
( I don't want to fall behind on March 2nd.)
I plan to make 5 a day, every day in March.
If I do that,
 I will add 155 3" string blocks to my collection.

What will I do with them?
Oh no worries about that.
These make awesome borders for string quilts,
fun quilts like Bonnie's Love Shack that I will make someday.
But not today.
I have to empty that string bin down some first!

So I am going to do like Sarah and 
challenge myself every month to get my scraps under control.
I have a good plan for March,
I'll have a good plan for April.
I'll have a good plan for......
you get the idea.

Wish me luck, I'm headed into the abyss. 


14 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, I want to go too...........

Charlene S said...

Judy, I am with you 100%.

Mary said...

Good for you, Judy! I have to say you're in good company. I might even make some string blocks now that I have a Treadle.

Marie said...

good luck! If you need more ... let me know ... the post office would gladly deliver them to you!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Those are skinny strings if you are making 3.5" blocks! You have an excellent plan for the month,

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Good luck on your goal. I need a project for all of my strings.

Anonymous said...

Your string blocks are lovely, great goal to sew five a day. I need a way to sew larger scraps from mismatched projects together. Dare I cut them into smaller scraps and try this? hmmm?

Vic in NH said...

I loved gazing at your scrap bin longingly! The first batch of string blocks are deliciously scrappy!

Chantal said...

Sounds like doable plan. Good luck. ;^)

gayle said...

I hadn't thought of making tiny string blocks... Hmmm...
What a great idea. 8)
(And good luck!)

Sarah Craig said...

What an amazing goal!!! You can do it, I know you can!!!

Sue said...

Love your string blocks. They are such fun to make. You do know that scraps multiply on their own when we are not looking?

Lynne said...

I love how quilters can throw all manner of fabrics at string blocks and they somehow just work! Your blocks look great! (visiting from the "I may have a scrap problem" link up)

Quilting Babcia said...

I love string blocks but those strings just seem to keep reproducing themselves as I go along!