Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

It's That Time of Year Again

It's time to start thinking about the quilt for the Hunting Club picnic prize.  For the last 3 years, I have made a deer quilt for the hunting club to use as one of the raffle prizes at the annual picnic.  It has become quite the coveted prize.  I've been thinking about it and didn't have a clue what to do.  I have more than enough of this deer fabric to use as the focal fabric and really, after this much time, I'd like to be done with it.


This morning I was reading Facebook and Benartex, Inc posted something on their blog. Of course I had to go see and I found this post. So I opened up EQ7 and started looking at blocks.  In no time at all, I had a quilt designed with those 2 blocks and then it got to the borders.  I love their border but I'll save that for one of my own quilts. 


After playing, coloring, changing and more changing, I came up with this quilt.  It's prefect for a man, woman or child.  Not too big, not too small.

Then I sent my picture off to my friend Judy L for her honest opinion.  And while I waited for her response, I started figuring border dimensions.  I have learned from her that I should get my borders ready before starting the center of the quilt.  That way there is no down time while I procrastinate on cutting the borders. So with a favorable response from Judy, I am ready to shop for the perfect fabrics and get going on this.

Until then, I'll continue to work on Easy Street and UFO Hopscotch that I was working on when I finished the deer quilt 2 years ago! Oye!!! It's so easy to put things away and forget about them!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I'm sure Judy will give her stamp of approval, as the blocks will complement the deer fabric well.