Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Knitting and Other Stuff

I am such a pushover! I am like Dory in Finding Nemo. I see something shiny and off I go! The latest shiny object is a pair of Paraphernalia socks. I tried to be strong. Really I did. But Judy L showed her's here and I had to jump on the band wagon. I went to my sock yarn stash and found this yarn that I bought quite a while back from Knit Picks. It probably wasn't the best choice to use but I'm fine with it. I will have a pair of socks with cables, whether they can be seen or not is fine with me. If they turn out good, I'll be happy to show them to you. LOL

I am not doing the knit along that she is doing but I am getting over my fear of cables. I thought this would be a good pattern to try and with Judy's encouragement, I am doing it. I'm sure there is a mistake or 2 but what sock of mine would be complete without one. :-)
So I can no longer say I am afraid of cables because I'm not. As long as I have my clicker and paper and pencil.

I am back to working on these socks too. It's been a while since I did anything on them and I really want them so I am back to knitting a few rows a night before I pick up the cable socks.

I've been spending some time perusing Goodwill for treasures. One day I found this fabulous curved plate to use as serving dish, 14 wide mouth pint jars and a bunch of forks and spoons.


After talking to the hostess of the hunting club picnic, I decided to get a stack of plates and silverware for big gatherings. Like she says, I can wash dishes but I hate buying, eating off of and throwing away paper plates. Sure got me thinking and now I'm all set.

Yesterday I found this cute little Tupperware child size cake carrier and it HAD to be mine. I wanted to buy Corelle dinner plates but the last time I was at Goodwill, there were none. Yesterday there were 28 dinner plates and 3 salad plates. I think I'm good for now. I'll still keep my eye out for a few more but not 28 at once. And I added a few more jars, forks and spoons to my collection.

My Mondays and Tuesdays are spent with Jonah. His new best friends and our new family members are Dozer and Turbo. Right now they are all cuddled up in the chair taking naps. It's hard to be 7 and get up at 5:30 to go to Gramma's. Some mornings require naps!

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Yes, paper plates are convenient, but nothing says "I care and I want to sit and visit with you" like a real plate. You will also keep multiple paper/plastic products out of the landfill.

I like both pairs of socks - nice job

Mary said...

I love my Corelle plates. Naps are good for anybody who gets up too early or stays up too late...I'm looking in my mirror you know.

Kari Nitzel said...

Good for you in overcoming your cable fear, I am still trying to tackle the learning to knit before I move on to socks, they sure look fun though.
Good luck with your plate hunting.

Me and My Stitches said...

Awww....I love your cute little kitties! And your Grandson is a cutie too!!!

fancystitching said...

Your Abracadabra socks are coming along well, and I can't wait to see how the cables work out! I have a couple of yarns (solid or tone-on-tone) that would do well for a cabled pattern, so that is somewhere in my future this fall. The next pair on needs to be the one remaining cotton yarn in my collection. I need to get that stuff out of there! Happy knitting, Judy!