Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

A Week In The Life Of Gramma

And what a week it was! Starting with Monday during the day. (My last post sounds cheery when in fact I felt like I was at the bottom of the pond trying to come up for air. And the post was written before Ernie came home.) I had submitted a request for some days off for when my daughters were coming for a visit. Everyone I work with knows how I feel about my kiddos and my grandkiddos.

On Monday afternoon, I got a phone call from the office telling me that "people" were complaining that I was taking too much time off. How dare I! My kids live out of state, I don't care about the hours, I want the time off to spend with them. Period, make it happen. I spent the rest of the day trying not to cry. Everytime someone said anything to me, the tears fell. I came home hurt and angry and vented to my dear husband. He said quit.

Tuesday morning, Happy Birthday to Me!, I call the office. ME: "This is my notice. I will work through the end of the month if you want me to." THEM: "Ummmm, ok." ME: "OK!" Hang up. Fall into my chair.

I felt the weight of the world fall off my shoulders. Then I had to tell the guys. I told one, that seemed to be enough because we can't keep a secret. So work Wednesday and Thursday, take a 5 day weekend that THEY scheduled for me (and I did not complain about), work next Wednesday and Thursday and become retired! I spent the rest of the day cleaning my office. I want to leave on good terms, just in case. You never know what life will bring and I don't want to burn this bridge. I also don't want to cross it again but...

Wednesday and Thursday were explaining days and trying not to cry everytime someone says they will miss me or not to quit. I've worked there almost 11 years so I know alot of people. I felt so great about doing this that I came home from work full of energy and in a good mood. I sewed everynight.

Then on Friday, day 1 of my 5 day weekend, I finished up this wall hanging. I love it and am giving it away. Due to arrive in a mail box next week but I'm not telling who or why yet.

Friday night was the Brad Paisley concert. I almost didn't go. But I sure am glad I did. It was fun spending the evening with Dee, Vern and Taylor. And Brad is one of my favorites and a hottie!

Then Saturday, I cleaned house for a while, then sat down in front of the sewing machine. (Ernie didn't feel good so he napped off and on all day. Poor baby has a head cold.) I got almost all of my blocks made from my quilt retreat project. I am calling it Circles and Stars. Then, after begging Ernie and the dogs to go get ice cream-and they did, I ate my ice cream, watch Over the Hedge - cute movie - while stitching binding down on my quilted jacket. Then I shopped on ebay, put in a bid on a book and went to bed.

I got up this morning full of energy, checked my bid--won the auction-wooho, made breakfast and finished sewing my blocks. Now I am sewing them into rows. Hopefully I can get the top together today. If I don't I have some extra time coming into my life. I think I'll be ok.

I'm 53 and I'm Free! Happy Birthday to Me!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sue said...

I am so glad you are so happy!! I know how badly you've wanted to leave that God forsaken place for so long. I'm delighted that the day finally arrived for you! That made it a happy birthday for me too :) Now you have the time and the energy to devote to what you truly love; your family and your fabric.

Love ya,
Sister Sue