Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Ugly Fabric Challenge

Use your best blue whinie voice.......why won't blogger let her upload the picture of this quilt???

Last November at our quilt retreat, we played a game using ugly fabric. We were to bring 1 yard of ugly fabric. Then we ripped it in half, dropped a half, ripped, dropped, etc. At the end of the game, when the "What are we gonna do with this now?" question came up, I suggested we make something for charity out of it. Add some of your own fabrics, can't remember how many, and make something for someone else.

Last night I started to clear off my cutting table and I found my bag of uglies (which by the way, I didn't find one ugly fabric in the bag!) and figured I better get started. The retreat is in November after all and I have to have something for show. So I pulled out my notebook of patterns from Quiltville. I decided on the Chunky Churndash. And this is where I am now. I have one little piece of fabric left and I think I can get the 2 needed blocks out of it if I add another piece from my scrapbag and use the pink for the corners.

I didn't have to work today so I have spent my time obsessing about this top. I have all the hourglass blocks done and will do the 2 other blocks later today so I can sew the top together. I don't know what to use for the borders yet but I think I have enough fabric on my self to find something!

Now I have to get going and run a few errands. I need to go to the quilt shop and find a black batik for my May retreat project. I'm going to do an organized scrappy (I know--what a surprise!) quilt and I want my 2 background pieces to be constistant throughout the quilt.

It sure feels good to be productive again. I think I'm out of my slump for a few days. I've even been able to sew a little bit at work and have almost all of my half square triangles pieced for my depression block quilt.

No comments: