Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Fun With Friends

Today was the Quilt Show at Pomeroy Living History Farm. I got to spend part of the day with my friends looking at old quilts and new quilts. I love having days like today.

I love going there and looking around at the old farm house, inside the old barn, the gardern and the property. Today was the first time I have been upstairs in the house. They normally don't have that open for visitors. They have each of the rooms decorated in the theme of a decade. I wish I had more time just to stand and look at everything. Karen Snyder of Anna Lena's Quilt Shop was the guest speaker. She had a quilt show of fabulous old quilts. I'm going to miss her shop when she retires.

There were vendors to visit. One booth had a toy Singer sewing machine that screamed for me to take it home with me. So I did. I bought a used book and a pattern. I resisted the basket of scraps. It was hard but I did it! I do love the scraps! I almost regret not filling a couple bags!

This quilt top is ready for a back and quilting. It is made using the remaining 3" strips from several flannel strips swaps over the years. I have made 5 quilts from these swaps. I am using the leftover peices for the binding. I have almost all of them sewn together into manageble strips so I can trim them to 2 1/2". Then I will sew them into the binding strip and press them. I have enough other flannel to make a back. This UFO is probably 3 years old. According to my UFO chart, I started working on it at work in 2005. I sure got sidetracked on this one.

I spent Wednesday at Marian's sewing the blocks together. I came home and the blocks on the design wall. I needed to cut enough to finish 2 blocks and make 2 more. This morning I woke up early with this top on my mind. So being the sweet, considerate wife that I am, I tip toed out of the bedroom and into the sewing room at 5:30. By 9 the top was complete at 60"x 70". Just right for a cuddle on the couch quilt or a quilt for my bed in the motorhome.

I worked on my Drepression Blocks and have 7 more blocks put together. I now have 32 8" blocks complete. After looking at all my half square triangles, I decided I need to make lots more. I have too much of the same light for a good mix. No problem, I have lots of light strips in my drawer and it only takes a few minutes to cut them into triangles. I probably need to figure out how many blocks I need to make. I put them up on the design wall just to admire. And hopefully to motivate me to get it done.

I'm outta here to sew for a bit longer. Night All
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

JENNY @ jennybandco.blogspot.com said...

I could use a really warm quilt for football practice--- Amanda too--- we had to freeze at practice on Friday =( (haha!!)

Quilting Dispatcher said...

Judy:
You posted on my blog a few weeks ago. Please Email me your address as I have a package to send you for being the first to post.

Jean

Laurie said...

I have been visiting your blog and do enjoy you articals, I have today awarded you an award check out my blog to collect.
well done.

Laurie
www.breadmoretravels.blogspot.com