Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Thursday, September 04, 2014

National Sewing Month--Day 4


You all know I am easily influenced to join in the sew alongs, right?  This time I will blame blog friend Kathy--snicker,snicker.  She posted here about the Marcus Fabrics "Friends & Companions" Sew-Along.  She talked about using the fabrics she had left over from her Votes for Women project.

That was all I needed to see.  I have fabric leftover from my Grandmother's Choice-Votes for Women quilt (still a top at this point) and I will use mine for this one too.  I have lots of fabric left from Taylor's Piece Hexi quilt so I added that for the black.  (That top is still waiting on borders too and is now sitting beside my machine.)

I started printing the blocks. After a couple weeks of not starting, I talked myself out of it. Then she would show another block and I would print off that one and put it with the others for someday.

Guess what! Someday showed up this week.  I was putting some things away and there is the bin of fabric. I pulled it out, sat down and cut the pieces for these 5 blocks.  Last night and this morning, I sewed and now I am caught up, ready for tomorrow when the next block is revealed.

Thanks Kathy for not getting out of my head. I really like these and I'm glad I jumped on the band wagon with you. Fabric from my stash is being used instead of being stored and has prompted me to add the borders to an unfinished top. This is going to be a fun little quilt.

As I look at the block with the blue frame, I've decided to change out the corner triangles to the same background as the others. I have lots of that fabric and I like that so far, the corners of each block are half square triangles.

3 comments:

Barb in Mi said...

Your blocks are looking great! Will watch from the sidelines and slowly finish my Hawk's nest blocks. Happy National Sewing month!

Suzanne said...

I love scrappy..and using up little bits and pieces. Your blocks are going to go together great.

Mary said...

Darn you and Kathy in Canada... I went and printed off this week's block. So Tempting to get out my CW fabrics too.