Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Medallion QAL-Part 2

Part 2 of the Gwennie Inspired Medallion QAL is themed Childhood. I went with a favorite childhood memory of star gazing.

I grew up in the country where the nights are dark except for the twinkling stars. We loved to go out and watch the stars! They were so bright. It's not that way now, too many big city lights and too many homes with outside lights, mine included. I can still see stars, just not as many from my favorite swing out on the deck.

My most vivid memory of this was at Gramma's house (where I now live!) with cousin Sandy.  Gramma let us take an old blanket outside to lay on. I swear we saw a falling star. It took our breath away. I was hooked at star gazing!

This was fun to work on. I had seen this star somewhere on a blog and had drawn it up in EQ7. I paper pieced these. I had added a skinny border to the basket block to bring it to be a 9" block. I sized these to finish at 4 1/2". That's what I love about EQ7, I can make my blocks any size I want. :)  I think I'll add another skinny border to balance my stars but I'll wait until I find out what part 3 is about.

There's still plenty of time to join in. This month the link up is at Cynthia's blog--wabi-sabi quilts.  I am in love with this quilt already found at Me and My Quilts. Her basket is the perfect quilter's basket!!

19 comments:

Melissa said...

Great round! I love your story to go with it. Mine is also a grandma memory, I have a vision in my mind for the round, I need to do it. I attempted it a couple of weeks ago, but took it off because the fabric wasn't right.

Julie said...

What a great memory and I love your medallion so far. I am not doing this project, way too many quilts to finish in a short time but I am happy to watch them develop!

Ramona said...

Great memory, Judy. Your quilt is looking great, too. Love the starts.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Really striking stars against the dark dark background - nice!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thanks for the shout out! My sister and I used to lay outside on a blanket and star gaze, too -- but we lived closer in to a city so the sky was not inky black (more like charcoal gray). LIKE your starry border a lot.

Cathy said...

I too spent many a summer night star gazing. Love your block. Now I can't wait to see round 3. Hugs

Lori said...

That looks wonderful! I have great memories of star watching too....I still do it now!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

How lovely! I think it is so special that you live in your grandmother's house. What great memories.

Lamasure said...

I love black and yellow , your stars are gorgeous and your story very touching...
Véronique

Sandi said...

Cute wonky stars. Have fun with the log cabin round!

gayle said...

I love those stars, and your stargazing memories. I love how so many of us in this qal have evoked our grandmas!

Rebecca in AK said...

Those stars really sparkle in your border! Such a wonderful memory too.

Cathy said...

Your star gazing border is a star!

We live in the country away from a lot of city lights. We used to sleep out on the deck and star gaze with our kids for some cheap entertainment. August was always the time for falling stars.

Sharon said...

What a great memory! I like how your border sparkles too. I even introduced my own kids to star gazing by lying on a blanket in the back yard. I still do star gazing today, but you're right. We're in the country and there is still too much light to see many stars...sadly.

Nancy said...

Your stars look so perfect! I love that you chose black for the background.
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Karen said...

Growing up, we lived in the suburbs without street lights. The sky at night was so dark and the stars so bright. Good choice for your round.

Anonymous said...

Great memory and great border! I love it!

Angie in SoCal said...

One of the things I like so much about this QAL is the variety of the medallions and the stories behind each round. Your's is a favorite.

Danice G said...

What a wonderful childhood memory to depict. I love your stars and sky. Very pretty.