Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Friday, October 01, 2010

Breakfast Thinking

Each morning I sit here at the computer and read my pages. It's like back in the day when I read the newspaper.......when news was based on facts, not sensationalism. Anyhow, I read Judy L's Patchwork Times and today she made me go read my flour labels. OK, I read labels a whole lot more than I ever did in the past but I didn't know I had to worry about flour, other than the fact that it gets over processed.

While I was reading my flour bag, I started noticing how few cans and boxes are in my pantry. I've done a pretty good job of doing away with them but there is still lots of room for improvement. I no longer buy boxed pasta or rice mixes, I make my own. If you search the internet, you will find a kabillion recipes for home made mixes. Me, I love Chickens In The Road Cooking Archives. I also use a book from the 1970s (way back when) called Make a Mix Cookbook. Simple, basic ingredients.

The photo above is what I'm having for breakfast--well not all of them, only 2 and that's probably too many. These muffins were made with Quick Mix (recipes from CIR) that I keep in a gallon jar, a fresh egg and blueberries from my freezer. They took about 5 minutes to mix up-including getting the pan out of the cupboard. It took longer to heat up the oven.

Yesterday we got word that our 1/2 beef is at the butcher and to expect the call for cutting and wrapping instructions. Nothing better than good farm beef in the freezer that was raised by someone you trust. Which reminds me, I need to re-organize my freezer next week.....another project.

No comments: