Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tuesday Knitting Report

There is some progress on Maemae's sweater. I knit a few evenings this week but several were spent in the sewing room. Ernie was watching stuff I didn't care to watch. Just a few more rows and I can start the sleeves. Although I am a bit nervous about sleeves now.

I was so excited last week to be putting my sweater together only to have been brought to tears when I tried it on. Look at how ginormous that sleeve is! I can't bear to look at it! I was ready to throw the whole thing in the garbage until Ernie says why don't I just take the sleeves off and make them again. I hate it when he gets all practical and reasonable! So I folded it up and put it back in the bag.

Today when I got it out to take a picture to share my misery with you all, I decided to take the sleeves off and take them apart and do them again! In previous years, this would have already been gone with the garbage man but now I am determined. So I will finish Maemae's sweater and hat first then I will tackle this again.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Isn't it just maddening when something like that happens? I think I would have been tempted to do the same thing. But, it would be a shame to have gotten this far, only to trash it, and have wasted all that time. It is fixable. Deep breathe in......... you can do this.

Paula, the quilter said...

I used that very yarn to knit up a cardigan sweater and had the same problem with the sleeves. I wonder if it is the yarn?

fancystitching said...

And THAT explains why I only knit socks (and have a difficult time fitting my foot!)... I can't imagine trying to knit to fit the rest of me.

Kat

Julia said...

I threw away the first sweater I knitted.

Linda said...

Oh, I know how frustrated you are but don't throw it out...Once you finish the others, maybe you can pick it up and redo the sleeves. You need a friend up there to help you, can I come????

LuAnn said...

And, that's why I knit mostly scarves, hats, fingerless gloves, and afghans...one size fits all. The yarn is really too pretty to throw it in the garbage. Your Cotton BOll mystery quilt is beautiful. I'm still working on mine....