Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Design Wall Monday

What's on my design wall? Nothing but threads. No fabric, no blocks, just threads, lot and lots of threads. The design wall will come down this week and a new one will take it's place soon.


I got the fabulous idea to rearrange my sewing room. I am taking almost everything out of the room. As I do, I am putting projects in to bins. I am labeling, I am doing inventory of sorts. The top left big bin is labeled bin 1. I made a list of everything that is in there, 8 projects ready to quilt. Tops, backs, bindings and battings. In the photo below, there are 2 more big blue bins. Bin 2 is all completed tops--some with backing and/or bindings, some without. Bin 3 is completed tops and several UFOs. There is a list for each bin. Mt. ToBeQuilted has been taken down and organized. I have A LOT of projects!

The top left bin is full of kits. Some I have bought, a few were given to me and several I have made up. The green and clear bins are projects in various stages. The shoe boxes have smaller projects in them. This is only one side of the room..........oh boy, what have I started!

At times I felt like I have taken on more than I can do. I thought I could do this in the 3 days Ernie was out of town. I always underestimate the time it takes for a big project. This reminds me of my son in law's favorite saying--"This will only take an hour, hour-ten at the most!" I figure I am about 1/3 of the way done. Hopefully by mid-week, we can start putting in the countertop/sewing table. Let's hope that will go faster than the taking things out. If it doesn't that's OK, I have nothing but time!



13 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

WOW! That is quite a huge undertaking...you are very brave!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I did that a year and a half ago. Took everything out, and I still have a mountain that I haven't put back in. But my room wasn't just for sewing, all that IS in the room. It is also scrapbooking, that is all in as well. It is also crafting, most of that is back in. Then there is the boxes of "stuff" that got shoved in there during my 8 year absence from my room. Those are what are left, things I don't know what to do with them, or where to put them. So they are keeping the door held open, and blocking part of the other room up there too. But so far it has been worth it all.

Kalissa Kramer said...

Thanks for showing your picture...My project isn't nearly as intense and I thought mine was bad!! I have about three hours and them I should be done. It's been well worth it though.

Susan said...

Oh I love your idea....... I too have totes and totes of things to quilt.... I will be watching to see how your progress is......

When you get it all organized it will be so much easier to get things made...........

Unless you are like me and keep bringing things back to the sewing room.

Pattilou said...

Yea! for organization!

Mary said...

you are so smart to make a list of what is in each ne. Where do you keep the list? I might make a copy and put one inside or taped on the outside the tote and one in a binder.
Have fun re-arranging. In spite of the 'S' stuff.

Judy D in AZ said...

Keep us posted on your progress. The last time I did that, I never finished and I'm hoping your example will help me get it done!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What an undertaking... but think of how organized you will be when it is all over...

Gari in AL said...

I thought of you this morning when I entered the studio and the really big mess it has become. And I said "Boy, am I glad I'm not Judy!" No way would I pull everything out and then put it back. But I think it is a lovely idea, I really do.

Nancy said...

Want to come to my house when you finish and work on my sewing room? ;oD

Mary said...

I always underestimate the time required for projects too. It looks like you are really doing this one right. Way to go.

Diane said...

oh re arranging--love it. It will rejuvenate you for sure (after all the work is done, I mean!)

Rabid Quilter from California said...

Yeah, taking everything out is the only way to get your sewing room in order. If you're anything like me, you'll find things you've totally forgotten about which is so fun!