Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Design Wall Monday

I watched a video that was posted at Subee Sews Quilts of bits Bonnie Hunter's guild lecture. At the end of the video she says something about grabbing a UFO off the shelf and work on it. So I did. The instructions for this quilt are from Mary Quilts (lots of great quilt patterns!) and can be found here.

Actually I spent a good share of the day working in my sewing room, moving things around, exploring bins to find new treasures. I have a big bin of UFOs and wasn't real sure what all was inside and I found this gem from a couple years ago. I remember putting it away because I needed to finish making border blocks. I had the side borders done but not the top and bottom.

Sometimes I just like to sit and make string blocks. So I have lots of them in my bin and there was enough straight ones to make the remaining borders. I had enough of the center strip fabric for the little inner border but not for binding so that will be scrappy. I'm not happy with the corner blocks and think I will be if I rotate them or put on something else entirely.

All in all it's been a great retreat at home weekend. I got the back made for RRCB, some serious reorganizing and worked on this UFO. The long arm is ready for a week full of quilting. Hopefully this little jewel will be done soon.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy...
I like strips also. I have posted the one I just finished. I like yours very much. It seems more organized than mine does...so I might try your pattern soon! :)

Charlene S said...

Sometimes a retreat at home is something we really need. I am planning mine on Tuesday and Wednesday with breaks for homework with grandchildren.

Tamera said...

Congrats on getting a good weekend of quilting done!

Anonymous said...

Really nice and well balanced.

Unknown said...

Rotating the corners might help then fit in the border better. Have fun with your plans for the week.

Vicki H. said...

I have a weekend to myself coming up and I plan to do an at home retreat, too!! The guys are going to retreat with the church group. Now, if I can get everyone to let me sew without interrupton.....

fancystitching said...

WOOHOO! Great progress and I love the looks of this quilt! Finished feels SOOOOOO good!

Kat

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt, I've started doing strip quilting and really enjoy it.

Kari Nitzel said...

Its a great quilt. I have been thinking about doing one, but I am not sure if there is a pattern secret to keep everything balanced. Suggestions?

Cathy said...

Judy, I love it! And I think that if you rotate those corner blocks, it will be perfect. And another UFO bites the dust. You are really on a role!

LuAnn said...

I love your string quilt. Great border idea, too. I love making string blocks. Those little treasures that we find exploring in the bins are a lot of fun; sometimes I wonder why I put some of them away when they were so close to being a finished top or quilt.

Diane said...

love the colors in your string quilt! Have fun quilting!

Mary said...

I didn't know you had a longarm too. Lucky lady! Have fun quilting this week.

Miri said...

Looking great! Corners on a piano key border are always problematic...I usually try two or three till I find just what I want.

Quilter Kathy said...

I like the corner blocks...what about if you tip them so the strips are going the same way as the corner block inside the border?? Do you like it better or no?
Can't wait to see what you are up to this week!

Judy D in AZ said...

The string quilt is looking good. How great that you were able to use parts! I put that in my hint file.

I agree that you should turn the corners so the strips are on the diagonal. I'll bat that finishes it up nicely.

Barb in Mi said...

Retreat at home - lovinge it! Great string quilt! I so agree: sometimes you just need a simple block to finish, no thinking needed - and still you want to end up with a beautiful quilt.

Heather said...

Ahh... sounds like a perfect weekend to me! You got a lot accomplished, too. That string quilt is going to be a beauty!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I like that quilt - very eye cathcing!