Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Canning & Freezing Chicken


Monday was chicken canning day at our house.
I ordered 80 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts from Zaycon Fresh.
Gosh when there's a good sale, buy it!
Pick up time was between 8 and 9 am.
We were there before 8 and was 2nd in line.
Hubs wanted to be 1st. 😊

We borrowed a pressure canner from our DIL so we could have 2 going and get this knocked out.

At the end of a long day, we have 28 pints and
72 half pints on the pantry shelves.
5 pressure canners full.
Ernie watching in the shop, me in the house.
Without his help, I'd still be working. 
 

After all jars were filled, 
9 quarts of chicken chunks went into the freezer.

This morning, lids were removed, jars wiped with vinegar and lids labeled.
Everything is put away!
This will last us at least a year. 
Hooray for a full pantry.

I need to find more jars. 
Tuna season will be here soon.

1 comment:

The Joyful Quilter said...

I know we have canned meat at the grocery store, but I've never thought about anyone actually canning it at home. What a job that must have been!!