Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Friday, September 22, 2017

Long Day In And Out Of The Kitchen


Our freezer has an abundance of clams.
I don't like them but Ernie loves them.
I canned Clam Chowder base from the recipe in the Ball Blue Book
last year and emptied the last jar a few days ago.
So it was time to make more.
11 half pints (single serving) and 8 pints were canned today.
Plus 2 more pints went in the freezer.
I ran out of potatoes so will grab some tomorrow for another batch or 2.
Clamming season is about to open again and the freezer needs space.


I figured since I had the canner out, I may as well can some beans.
I love this simple process and having them on the shelf ready to use.
8 pints of red kidney beans, 5 pints of black beans and 19 pints of pinto beans.
My pantry shelves are going to look full again.
And my husband is thrilled to have his stinky clam chowder whenever he wants!


While I was canning, Ernie was outside.
He is the proud owner of an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill.
While wood cutting this summer, 
he brought home some maple logs to mill.


Out son in law is a woodworker and cannot wait to get his hands on these slabs.
I can't wait to see what he does with them.


This will make a gorgeous, rustic coffee table.



4 comments:

scraphappy said...

It does look like you had a busy day. Those maple planks are going to be beautiful when they are finished.

Ramona said...

Clams! Yum! How nice to have clam chowder whenever your husband wants it. The maple slab is going to become something beautiful!

Quilter Kathy said...

So many talented and creative people in your family!
So thoughtful of you to cook and can something you don't even like!

Justhaveingfun said...

Judy, I love to can and have never tried clam chowder. Now I have to do it. Hope you get some quilting time in.