Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Retreat Roundup-Finallly


May Retreat is always fun but this year it was extra special for me. 
I sat with my daughter, busy mom of 4, wife of 1.
Her husband took vacation days so she could retreat with mom.
He is super special! Thanks Mike.
Day 1-I worked on these, my version of Windows To Heaven
 found in the book Strip Delight by Suzane McNeill.
It was fun laying the blocks out at home.
Hopefully they will become a top soon.


 Friday I used daughter's machine while she went to the zoo with 1st graders.
I had 10 hexi designs to applique to the background fabric.
I am thrilled to be one giant step closer this UFO  being completed.


I started putting my tumbler blocks together Friday evening.
While working on them Saturday, I found I had made a huge mistake in my design so I put it away.
Come to find out, only one row was off.


Next up were these fun blocks. 
These are for Town Square from Kim Brackett's book
Most of the blocks are finished to this step. 
I made a few cutting errors-nothing too serious-so those will need some work.
This will become one of the quilts for my special project that I can's talk about yet.


One of my favorite activities are the strip swaps. This time we did 2 1/2" batiks and neutrals (where is that picture??) and 1 1/2" neutrals and blues.

Since I am the swapper, I get to touch all of these and dream of what I'll do with them.

Retreats are so much fun, energizing and so exhausting all at the same time. It's fun to catch up with old friends. Most of these women have been retreating together for a long time. While I didn't complete any one projects, I made serious progress on each that I worked on. That was my plan!!

I have most of my things put away. 2 projects have moved forward.  I'm already planning for the next retreat in the fall.


2 comments:

Mary said...

You are SEW lucky to live close to Royal Ridges! I'd come again if it wasn't a 4+ hour drive. I like your New Secret Project block. Your SIL is a nice guy to parent while his wife gets to retreat!

Julie said...

Awesome projects and I love the strips! I so wish I lived closer, but an 8 hour drive each way isn't feasible during the school year. It's wonderful your daughter got to go.