Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Retreat Report

I love spending time at Royal Ridges. Fall is so beautiful surrounded by these huge old Maple trees. It's so quiet and peaceful there. A quilter's paradise.


My first project was to make this top for newest grandson Corbin. I used the tutorial at Love Laugh Quilt. I like how it turned out. I think I will add another 2" border before I quilt it. Right now it's 36" x 36".
Then I started working on my blocks for the quilt like Julie's. I learned that if I have only 1 earbud in listening to my music, the volume is higher than if I have them both in. The gals several tables away could hear my music....I was a bit embarrassed not because of what I was listening to but because I didn't know it was so loud. LOL

I sewed and sewed, press and snipped, stacked and sewed again. After the end of Saturday, I had 202 4" blocks made. I'm 2 blocks over half way. Now I have to dig through more of my scraps and cut more triangles. That will be cutting session 3. But that's fine, I'm going to love this quilt.

My face and stomach hurt from laughing so much....that's a good thing. Thanks quilter friends for making my weekend so special. I can't wait to do it again!


9 comments:

Michelle said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Your quilt top looks wonderful, and I love your blocks. So glad you had a good time. Laughter is the best medicine you can get. You should be SUPER healthy this coming week.
Have a great one!
Michelle

Dena said...

Corbin is one lucky grandson. He's going to love his new quilt. I had a lot of fun browsing Beth's blog. Thanks for the link.

LuAnn said...

Sounds like you had a great time and got a lot done, too. I think at my next retreat I may need to chain myself to my sewing machine. I love Corbin's quilt.

Diane said...

nothing like sewing w/friends-laughing til your jaws ache-it's good for the soul.
love all you projects!

scraphappy said...

Sounds like you had a great time at your retreat. I am in love with the spiral log cabin, having just gotten a request for a red white and blue quilt, I think it would look great with that pattern. The triangles quilt is going to use up SO MANY scraps. Hope you don't run:)

Quilter Kathy said...

SOunds like a fun and productive get away! And you're using up so much stash/scraps!

fancystitching said...

I LOVE Corbin's quilt! There is nothing like quilt retreat to get us focused in on finishing stuff. Great work!!

Julie in the Barn said...

I haven't been on a quilt retreat in a long while. They are always such a fun way to recharge the inspiration. It sounds like yours was a great success. I can hardly wait to see your ultimate scrap quilt assembled. You have some beautiful scraps in your "test" blocks.

pcflamingo said...

I love your blue Spiral Log Cabin - that's so pretty, or I guess I should say handsome, since it's for a little boy! I love sewing retreats, they are so restorative, and I always hate to leave. I go to at least two a year, plus a couple "unofficial" ones where a group of 4 or 5 or 6 of us just get together at someone's summer cabin for a weekend because we can't stand not to be sewing and laughing together. We are the Stitching Girls Society and a rainy day sewing is better than a sunny day at work.